Sunday, June 9, 2013

Week 2: Is it Worth the Price...

...of Poverty or Slavery?

Self-reflection Questions of the week: 

1. Do my purchases of coffee and sugar/chocolate promote justice, i.e. actively show love? Is it my responsibility to show love in every transaction? If not, when is it acceptable (i.e. pleasing to God) for me to be unloving?


2. Am I responsible for the wage paid to a worker who works directly for me? What about indirectly? How many middle-men does it take before I am no longer responsible?

3. When I buy a product, did the raw materials farmer, miner or producer “work for me”, in the sense of question #2?

4. IF I am convinced that the workers are not adequately paid or that slaves or children were forced to harvest the raw materials; does that amount to my promotion of injustice?


Intro Activity:

Write 5 key bullet points for a child labor law. Which criteria would your own personal law include if you were to ban child labor?

 -  Helper Question (think of it another way): Is it ever acceptable for a child to do some work?
    Why? Under what conditions or circumstances? (or Why Not?)


Week 2 Summary



Coffee Injustice: wages…kept back by fraud, defrauded laborers. 
Sugar/Chocolate Injustice: oppression of fatherless, wicked bonds.


Resources and Links

The Price of Sugar (click here for webpage)

Fair Trade Chocolate


After the Harvest. Fighting Hunger in the Coffeelands


Fair Trade Resource (movies, teaching tools, etc.)

How Many Slaves work for you? Take the survey at slaveryfootprint.org 

No comments:

Post a Comment